Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger
التسجيل
النتائج 1 إلى 5 من 5

Gladiator - Russell Crowe (making of)

هذا الموضوع : Gladiator - Russell Crowe (making of) داخل Making oFالتابع الي قسم ابداعات طريق الجرافيك : Gathering references My first step before starting the modeling process was to gather lots of reference for the character face ...

احباب طريق الجرافيك

الحالة
    غير متصل
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Oct 2007
    الدولة
    وطنى الدى يحترمنى
    المشاركات
    Thanks
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Gladiator - Russell Crowe (making of)

Gathering references

My first step before starting the modeling process was to gather lots of reference for the character face (Russell Crowe). As Russel Crowe is a popular actor i was able to grab some reference from 'google' as a starting point. Later I've captured more images from dvd movies to help me define his face better. It was very important to find high contrast images of the actor where his face is lit from a directional light source, this way i can see all the subtle details on the face. Numerous different angles helped alot to "see" the volume of the face. Here are some examples of the initial references that I've used :

Finding good reference for the face makes the project a much easier task because you'll be able to see much more of the face features.
    Anyway with or without good references I'm following same steps

Here is a short list of websites and search engines where usually I'm looking for pictures:
    Google - of course .. the best search engine
    Corbis Images – Premium Quality Stock Photography and Illustrations - you can search for your favorite celebrity or random pictures
    3d.sk - All the Human Photo References and Textures 3D Artist Wants - human photo references for 3d artists
    Wallpapers - Hot model and celebrity images, photos and pics for your desktop - free pictures - on Skins.be - celebrity babes wallpapers or simple pictures. Very good site but with lots of ads with mature content .. so be carefully
    Yahoo! Search - Web Search - one of the first search engine that I've used long time ago

The base head mesh

My preferred method is so named "box modeling" that means the model start with a simple box:

Right click on the cube , select to convert the object to "editable poly" and delete the face of the cube that is on the symmetry axis.
    As you can see I'm using symmetry modifier in an early stage and this help me to focus only on the half of the face.

Using "cut" tool I'm dividing the box as you see in the image (5) . After few minutes the basic head starts to get shape (8).
    From this point using some references with Russell Crowe I'm defining the eye area , nose and mouth using the same "cut" tool (7). At this level the head is symmetrical and it has a low number of vertex.

Is important that the construction of the head to be organized with proper loops that have to be simple and to define the main features for my character. The edges (1 - 2 loops ) that I'm starting to add are positioned mainly around the eyes and mouth. Using this method helps me to keep the mesh clean in this stage and the flow of the geometry coincide with the flow of the general features in that area.
    Usually I'm adding edge loops one by one and after adding one loop I'm rearranging vertices in that area until I'm getting the proper shape.
    Is a good idea to prepare and to place the eyeballs in the position as soon as possible because it will help to model correct the eye area. See next page

If i had to model the same head today then from this point I'll bring the base mesh in zbrush to add there the rest of details.

Tweaking the model to get something that look like my character is an slowly process and many times I'm focused on main features that are defining the character.
    After I've got the head at the level that i wanted I start to create a basic texture to see how it looks with some color.
    Eyes

Here is how I'm creating the eyes using a simple circle.
    First draw an circle , convert the circle in to editable spline and refine it as you see in the image.

Delete the lower part of the circle , clone it and scale one of them . After that adjust the shape as you see in the image and add lathe modifier.

If the eye looks low res then make the spline "adaptive" and increase the number of segments for lathe modifier
    The last step for eye modeling will be to place an " UVW Mapping " modifier. By default it is set to "planar" the only changes should be made at the "alignment" depending on the axes the eye is build.
    To create an proper texture for the eyes I'm exporting UV layout (render UVW template in Unwrap UVW modifier) and using photoshop I'm painting over as you can see in the next images.

Back to 3dsmax i have 2 materials : one for inside geo and one for outside geo. Material for the inside geo has only the texture on diffuse and the other material has only 5-6% reflection and 0% opacity.
    If the eye will be rendered big enough then is a good idea to assign on the outside piece of geo an bump map to define the veins around the iris.
    For the eyes i have few things that concerns me when I'm rendering an character :
    - amount of the reflection is important to be balanced. Usually reflection should be very small, something like 4-6 % ( To avoid seeing in the eye an weird reflection ) . To have the bright white reflection in the eye I'm creating an light source very intense ( it can be an area light with intensity 10 - 15 , with decay and visible in render or i can use an rectangle with an white- blue texture and higher intensity )
    - color intensity of the eye including the white part should be balanced with the intensity of the skin color

Unwrap and texture

Usually texturing the head is a slow process and it keeps until the final image is rendered.
    For this project I've used many references to get the proper position for hairline, eyebrows (extremely important) and wrinkles.
    Almost every personal work is a researching process and here I've tried to get some pore details to be visible on the skin . So I've done lots of test to see how i can make some nice pores on the diffuse texture but also on the bump map. These days I'm not using anymore the bump map created in photoshop with this method but I'm using the displacement map from zbrush to create the pore details in bump and diffuse.
    Anyway .. here's how I've created the texture :
    Usually I'm creating the uv layout while the model is still simetrical , to make things a bit easier for me. Because the base head was symmetrical the uv will be the same. So I'll use just half of the head to create the uv . For this I'm using an cylindrical uv and I'm correcting the points that are overlapping and the uv starts to look like this :

after that I'll mirror the other half of the uv and merge together in a single piece.
    At this point i can collapse the whole stack and the uv information is stored in the base mesh.
    After tweaking the geometry by adding the proper asymmetry on the model face i can start painting the texture in photoshop.
    (At any stage from this point if i want to add more details in the geometry i have to apply again the unwrap modifier and to correct the area where details were added.)
    First of all I'm painting some guidelines for eyebrows and forehead and I'm creating few noise layers with different level of blur (all with an overlay transfer) and an layer base color for skin.Here you can see some steps for the skin pore details :
    To add pores details on this basic texture i fill an layer with black color and after that I'm reducing opacity at 4 % . This layer should have an dissolve transfer and the image will looks like this :
    After that I'm creating a new empty layer and i merge both layers ( the one with dissolve and the other empty one). In this way i have a new layer with a normal transfer.
    With an emboss effect on this layer and overlay transfer i got exactly what i wanted .. pore details and as you can see in the grey area of the image, the same layer I've used to create the fine pore bump map.
    With some guides for eyebrows, hair line, beard and wrinkles painted on top and with more color variation I've started to analyze again the references and to properly arrange all details on the face.

Mental ray skin shader

Setting up the skin shader is not so simple even if I've did this many times before.
    Here is a screen shot of my settings that I'm using for Russel Crowe skin shader:
    Some explanations :
    By default the skin shader does not show the colors as I've expected and the biggest problem is the lack of contrast. So my first goal was to get the amount of contrast that i wanted before setting anything else. For that I've started to play inside the bitmap properties with "Color Map" options increasing and decreasing the levels as you see in the graphs.
    For epidermal, subdermal and back surface I'm using the same texture and the only differences are the color map levels
    For the overall diffuse and unscattered diffuse I'm using falloff to get some soft light on the edges (is something like fresnel reflection)

التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة desertwolf ; 15 / 10 / 2011 الساعة 41 : 11 AM
    http://www.islamway.com/?iw_s=Quran
    ادعوا لي ربى ان يغفر لى وللوالدي ولكل المسلمين
    جزاكم الله كل خير
    ربى لو بلغت دنوبى عنان السماء ما يئست من رحمتك
    أكتب ما يقوله النّاس ضدك في | أوراقّ *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . وضعها تحت قدميك !

فـ كلما زادت الأوراق (ارتفعت أنت الى الأعلى )

الصورة الرمزية speed_3d
    طالب بالمركز التعليمي

الحالة
    غير متصل
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2007
    الدولة
    iraq
    العمر
    المشاركات
    Thanks
    الصور
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Thumbs up رد: Gladiator - Russell Crowe (making of)

شكراً جزيلاً لكي اختي العزيزة على الميك اوف الرائع بارك الله فيكي

الصورة الرمزية arif2008
    مشرف قسم المبتدئين في الماكس

الحالة
    غير متصل
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    السودان
    المشاركات
    Thanks
    الصور
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: Gladiator - Russell Crowe (making of)

مشكورة أختي الفاضله ريم <<<
    ( حسبنا الله سيؤتينا الله من فضله إنا إلى الله راغبون ) دعاء الفرج بعد التشهد الأخير

الصورة الرمزية dhia
    مصمم مجتهد

الحالة
    غير متصل
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2011
    الدولة
    تونس
    العمر
    المشاركات
    Thanks
    الصور
    معدل تقييم المستوى

ما شاء الله تسلم ايديك أكثر من راااااااااائع
    تـــــــــــونس بـــــــــلادي

الصورة الرمزية waleed_ali
    مشرف القسم العام والإسلامي

الحالة
    غير متصل
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Jan 2010
    الدولة
    A, A
    المشاركات
    Thanks
    الصور
    معدل تقييم المستوى

مشكورة أختي الفاضله

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. Making Of Rio
    بواسطة 4MAX في المنتدى Making oF
    مشاركات: 2
    آخر مشاركة: 27 / 09 / 2012, 12 : 09 PM
  2. Making Of 'Never Again'
    بواسطة desertwolf في المنتدى Making oF
    مشاركات: 4
    آخر مشاركة: 01 / 06 / 2012, 36 : 08 AM
  3. Sky, 360 - Making Of
    بواسطة desertwolf في المنتدى Making oF
    مشاركات: 4
    آخر مشاركة: 18 / 03 / 2011, 50 : 07 PM
  4. remake of the composit of the gladiator
    بواسطة khalid87 في المنتدى عرض ونقد الأعمال | Exhibition & Criticism Designs
    مشاركات: 2
    آخر مشاركة: 26 / 08 / 2008, 01 : 08 PM
  5. Gladiator in the colesseum
    بواسطة khalid87 في المنتدى عرض ونقد الأعمال | Exhibition & Criticism Designs
    مشاركات: 5
    آخر مشاركة: 26 / 08 / 2008, 51 : 02 AM

الكلمات الدلالية لهذا الموضوع

المفضلات

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
  • لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك
  •  
الساعة الآن 16 : 11 AM